Saturday, March 22, 2014

Getting to Know Our International Colleagues

This week I have the pleasure of introducing Jacqueline Perry whom I made contact through the Canadian Association for Young Children.  We have discussed a few limited topics, especially poverty.  British Columbia has the highest child poverty rate and continues to worsen.  Much of this is attributed to the high number of single mother homes and growing welfare cases.  Low minimum wage  and lack of jobs attributes to the growing need for welfare.  Through the discussion, I realized that this is very similar to what we see in the area I reside. The minimum wages are comparable and the cost of living is similar as well.  It seems that much of the strife these struggling families endure is similar across country borders.  I look forward to continuing our correspondence and am very eager to learn more about the issues revolving around early childhood in our neighboring country.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    It was nice to hear that you made contact with your source. I also agree with you that poverty is everywhere. I believe at one time such a main issue was kept quiet and out of the way so people did not have to see it therefore they did not have to address it. Now there are families living right next door to people in their neighborhoods that are experiencing some type of hardship that put them in the category of being or living in poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen
    Looking forward to reading more information that is shared from your Canadian contact. As I read your post I was thinking that poverty is a worldwide issue whose cause may be different but the results are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Karen,
    You are so lucky to have heard back from your source, I am still waiting to hear back but I find it very interesting that Canadian borders are experiencing the same problem that we experience and even in the same manner. We have an ever increasing number of single mother households and they are growing. It will be interesting hearing some solutions that they attempt and compare to some of our possible solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your post. It is so exciting to branch out to different countries to see how similar and different we are. It is interesting that their welfare and minimum wage situations are so similar to ours. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen,

    I enjoyed reading with Jacqueline Perry. It is sad to know cases of poverty is on the rise. In order to put an end to poverty and childhood poverty, it takes a village to do what they can to ensure every adult and children has a safe/ positive well-being.

    Tanya Terrell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,

    I often wonder if we can really end poverty. It is apparent that it is everywhere, and there are different symptoms that cause it. I think the best way is to support and guide as many people as we can out of poverty.

    ReplyDelete