Saturday, October 4, 2014

Strategies to Avoid Conflict

Avoiding confrontation and negative communication has been something that has come pretty natural. One strategy I use often is to listen and compromise.  When I feel that my view differed from another's, I am always sure to listen to the view of the other, and then try and compromise.  This seems to work on numerous occasions.  The second strategy I use is what I call "keep my composure and never be afraid to walk away".  My mother instilled this strategy at an early age.  She always said stay true to who you are and when you feel as though your comfort zone may be breeched, walk away and try again later.  
These two strategies (if one would like to call them this) have served me well for 40 years.  While I have had some "healthy debates" over the years, I really cannot say that I have had any highly negative misunderstandings.  I am easy going by nature and always tend to think positively and try and take the role of the other when presented.  

2 comments:

  1. Karen,
    Compromise is very important, it can be the key to peace. I sometimes struggle with conflict because I want to know that I am understood, I don't just want a compromise. I don't know what to do about that because I often anger the other party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    You pulled valid and helpful points when it comes to addressing conflict. When communicating with others in a conflicting situation or not, I always try to instill the first point you brought up, listen to the viewpoint of others. However, I have never had to walk away from a conflicting situation. I always try and keep my composure but don't know if I would offend others by walking away. How have individuals reacted in situations in which you had to walk away?

    ReplyDelete