Friday, October 10, 2014

Adjourning Groups

I have been involved in many different types of groups, professional as well as personal.  I feel that all groups, when they work well together, are bittersweet when they come to an end.  When you have a group that struggles and then comes together beautifully, it’s hard to see it end.    Likewise, a group that meshes from the onset and runs like a machine is hard to leave as well.  When a group is productive, no matter what the process or outcome, the end should be a time for celebration and reflection. 
The hardest group adjournment that I was involved in was a group of parents who were rallying to keep a program in my child’s elementary school.  The funding was cut and we hated to see the program be cut, so we formed a group to try and change the inevitable.  We worked together beautifully, with a few minor disagreements which actually grew our bond even more.  After almost a year of accomplishments, we were still unable to keep the program alive, however the fight was definitely worth it. 
Upon the close of this group, we gathered for one last time and celebrated our labor of love and recognized each other for our hard work.  While we were not really successful in keeping the program, we built some lasting friendships and had a great group experience.  Our last meeting was at a member’s home, and was a relaxed environment with good conversation and a few tears. 
I feel that different groups end differently.  Sometimes professional groups I have been involved in just ended without warning, one day we were there, the next day we were done.  These types of ending are the most painstaking because I feel as though all my hard work and dedication was completely invalidated.

As this group of academic colleagues come to an end, I feel that some of us may continue to network and just share a common bond as educators.  I, for one, find that having colleagues from different areas and walks of life makes for a great information resource and a different set of eyes or ears.  I am confident that I will have some lasting contact with some of my Walden colleagues for many years to come.

5 comments:

  1. Karen,

    You wrote, "When a group is productive, no matter what the process or outcome, the end should be a time for celebration and reflection." I notice that I always reflect on my past work experiences, for example, for a long time after I have worked there even if the experiences were negative. I often critique my performance for years afterward. I agree, Reflection is an important part of working as a team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    What an inspiring group you were apart of! Even though the you were unable to keep the program alive, I can only believe you set a great example for your children and others within the school. You and other parents came together to fight for a common purpose. It is unfortunate when programs within schools are cut, your dedication and fight, I'm sure was appreciated by many.

    You also brought up a great point about how groups often times end differently. That thought had not yet crossed my mind. But when working in groups, you are absolutely right, they end in many different ways. Whether they are hard to to leave or not, groups can come to an end planned or unplanned. If they come to an end unplanned, often times, groups members may still have components they still need addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It was very inspirational. I hope to keep in touch with some of the colleagues I have been communicating with in this course. I believe in networking and it is important to keep open, positive, and professional communication with different people. Networking has been very instrumental for me in my career and obtaining employment. Best wishes!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,

    After reading your post I suddenly realized that leaving a group that is not jiving could be harder than I expected because i do not like to fail. I want to make a difference and be successful in all we do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    I wanted to take this time to THANK YOU for all your hard work you have put forth in this course. I enjoyed reading your discussion and blog posts each week! You always got me to think outside of the box. I still remember your discussion post where we had to describe the girl in the picture. Many of our colleagues, myself included were often indecisive in our answers. We said her profession could possibly be this or this. You really took time to address this assignment and brought the lady in the picture to life with your discussion post. Again, thank you for your contribution to this course and also the early childhood field! :)

    ReplyDelete