Saturday, September 20, 2014

Communicating With Different Groups

Think about the cultural diversity you see in your colleagues at school, in your neighborhood, in your workplace, and also, possibly, within your family. Consider all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on.
  • Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?
  • If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?
I do find myself communicating differently with different people.  I am a preschool teacher, and find myself speaking in language that is age appropriate for them, but sometimes taking that language a bit higher in order to provide opportunities for higher level thinking and problem solving.  Teaching in Camden City School District involves families of different cultures.  Many of my parents speak Spanish and I need to be able to communicate somewhat effectively with those families.  Because of this language difference, I speak slowly and clearly, and utilize Spanish language whenever possible.  Also, I am careful that my tone and demeanor is non-offensive and laid back.  II find that if my tone or body language seems rushed or anxious, this creates poor rapport and becomes a barrier to communication.  I also have a different communication with my professional colleagues at school.  When it is a laid back social situation, my language is just that, however when language is taking place in a professional situation, higher level communication and professional field language is utilized.  

Some strategies that I utilized within my communication are the following.
1.  I never assume anything about the people I am communicating with.  I always am mindful that my body language and tone is inviting and non-confrontational.   
2.  When communicating with others who speak a language other than English, I always try and utilize some of their words for understanding.  Additionally, my tone and body language is calm and does not indicate discomfort  or non-acceptance.  
3.  I always try and maintain composure, even when dialogue may turn confrontational or negative.  I keep my character at all costs and try and remain kind and calm.
4.  Lastly, I do not try to "pver talk" myself to make myself appear smarter or better than the person I am talking to.  I find that this can create a very sticky and uncomfortable situation for all involved.  

1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I think you provided some good tips for ways in which you communicate differently. I believe that in some way we all communicate differently even if it is someone of the same race. Best of luck.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete