Saturday, August 16, 2014

Welcoming Families From Around the World

This week we are asked to explain how we would welcome a child and their family from a country we know nothing about.  It is very ironic that this is the blog  task, because I was just informed this past week that I have a new child starting September 2nd from Chile.  I know nothing about Chile except that it is located in South America.

I intend to prepare for this child by researching Chile. This will give me a little insight on what the country is about.  I have found out that their primary language is Spanish.  My classroom is labeled in English and Spanish, and my IA speaks Spanish and I have a little Spanish language skills.  I found trade pictures about  Chile on the internet that I printed out and posted in the classroom.  Additionally, I found 2 children's books on Amazon, that I have ordered.  These children's books are "A Pen Pal For Max" by Gloria and Ted Rand, and "My Name is Gabriela" by Monica Brown and John Parra.

My intention is to help make this family feel as comfortable as possible by preparing a easy transition for their child.  I do not know if the family is coming to NJ because of family, displacement, or other.  I do not know if this move is positive or negative, but I will be welcoming.  I would like to assume that the family is experiencing a positive transition, but I will offer to help them further in any way I can.

   

5 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Your ideas sound very welcoming. I had thought about labeling but forgot to mention having books in the child's native language, nice touch! I am with you, I would hope that this transition would be for a fun adventursome reason but then as those in ECE know even fun and positive change is hard on children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that this is the topic since you are going through the exact circumstance. I like the fact that you have found books in relation to the country the family is from. It is important to help the child not to forget where they are from or even try to make the child become someone they are not. Once the child is comfortable I believe the family will do what is necessary for the child's education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the fact that you have already put things in motion regarding your family from Chile (How Exciting!!!!) The authentic opportunity to learn new things from one another is a chance that many never get and few often don't embrace. Please be sure to keep us posted on all the happenings of the new arrival and how the books worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Karen,

    I also picked Chile! You sound well prepared in making sure the child and family feel welcomed in your classroom. The family will have such a positive experience! You made sure to put in place things that help their transition, like the pictures, books, and of course, Spanish speaking teachers to help with bilingual learning of English. Great blog and country choice, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Karen,

    I like how you decided to make the family feel comfortable. I also love the fact that you are bilingual this is a huge advantage that you have to offer this family. I wish I knew how to speak another language than English. I believe that being bilingual is important in this field especially since diversity has increased in early childhood programs. I believe that the family will be comfortable with you because I know for some non-English speaking individuals it can become frustrating trying to explain or talk to someone. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete