Saturday, July 19, 2014

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

This week I spoke with three different individuals about their personal view of culture and diversity.  I spoke with my 15 year old daughter, my friend who is originally from Puerto Rico but relocated to the United States in her middle school years, and a colleague from my school.  My daughter defined culture as your life , food, family, holidays, etc., and diversity as being different than what is normal.  My Latino friend defined culture as being your life and how you live it in relation to others.   Additionally, she defined diversity as being foreign or from a different place than the United States.  Lastly, my school colleague defined culture as the environment in which you live your life and how, including thoughts, actions, religion, traits, and family.  She defined diversity as being multicultural and different than what people think American to be.

All three of the answers touched on the information, however it was quite minimal.  All three explanations did not include abilities , or even language.  All three of my  individuals I interviewed, as well as myself, seem to have an idea about culture and diversity, but can't really find the words to truly articulate the meaning.  My school colleague seemed very cross that when I asked her, she struggled with an answer.  As teachers, we have to take multiculturalism and diversity into consideration when purchasing toys and books, as well as classroom materials.  When discussing this topic with my friend who is Latino, she joked and said she was an example.  I feel that sometimes we consider those who are a definitive example (ie. language, skin complexion, ethnicity, etc) of a different culture, when actually we are all examples of different culture and diversity.  In regards to my daughter, I was also surprised to know that she had a difficult time defining culture and diversity.  I believe that society defines culture and diversity as extreme differences, when we are all examples of diverse individuals (granted, some are more diverse than others, however we are all different in one way or another).  After this exercise, I see that, as an educator, I need to educate my children and students on diversity and differences in order to gain understanding and acceptance.

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to define diversity and culture as us (people). It's amazing how we tend to make things more complicated than they must be when actually it's the simplest answer to the question that makes the most sense!!!! We all have a mutual responsibility to respect and appreciate our differences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,

    I love that you had such a diverse range of people that you choose to interview! I actually was impressed with your daughter's discription, I have a feeling that if you were to ask random 15 year old's on the street you might get quite a different response. Maybe I am being close minded and it would be that would be surprised at the answers?! I agree with you completely that as early childhood educators we need to be respectful, model and teach the young how to appreciate and celebrate those things that make us unique and individuals.

    Jenn Pore`

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good read. It is interesting to see that your Latino friend thought of diversity as being from a different place other than the United States, though diversity can dwell right among the Americans themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen,
    I could not agree more! Through the interview process we learned that people do not really understand what culture and diversity is. As early childhood educators, we can teach them how to ask questions to understand their peers and the world around them. This is why there need to continually be social studies in the classroom even in early childhood. In Montessori, we start teaching social studies as early as two.

    ReplyDelete