Saturday, February 1, 2014

My Connections to Play


Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
“Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

“Play is the work of the child.” – Maria Montessori
“Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.” -O. Fred Donaldson



The pictures  above represent the play  favorites of my childhood.  Barbie dolls, my kitchen play  set, and my bike were always my pastime doings.  My parents always encouraged my play as a child, and they allowed me the freedom to experience endless hours of fun.  I had my own play area where I could set up my playthings and play  continuously for days or months on end.  I was an only child, therefore, much of y play was solitary, but I remember that I was not lonely.  I do recall that much of my play was imaginative and I did talk to myself quite often (wow, does that mean I was "crazy"?Nah, I think I just had a rich imagination. )
Imagination leads me into my next topic.  Imagination is  what I believe is lacking  in play today.  So many things have evolved or changed that I believe that the imagination is being taken  out  of the toys.  For example, a traditional infant stacking ring set used to be made of just plastic colored rings that stack on a  post and go from large to small.  Nowadays, these stacking rigs light up and play music, plus lots of other bells and whistles.  Similarly, play has become very sedentary.  Children  would much rather sit in front of a video game than go out and ride bikes,  run  around, or even roller skate (no wonder childhood obesity is on the rise).  

Play is how children learn, but play does not stop with childhood.  Play is important and therapeutic to adults as well, or at least to me.  I need some me time to play...riding my bike, walking around  the park, crossword puzzles, crafting...it keeps my sanity.  As  adults, we should take heed to the benefits in the act of playing.  Life may be lighter and more enjoyable if we could all learn to play.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Karen,
    I do agree with what you are saying about imagination and how it is going out of the window with our modern children today. I took my 5 year old son over the summer and we got on a ride at Epcot and it was about using your imagination and I absolutely loved it but as I looked around all the other children looked so bored and complained about how bad they wanted to get off the ride and my son just looked puzzled and later asked what does it mean to imagine. I was thrilled that he was interested but I said to myself this world has changed so much from the time when I was a child and the creativity it on such a different level with all the modern day technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that technology has been taking over the imagination of our children in the current society. Once before imagination seem to come so natural without prompting or explanation, but today you actually have to persuade children to go and use their imagination rather than use technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your not crazy! I talked to myself too...Imagination is so important! I am proud to say my imagination is still intact. I love reading a book and creating the scene in my head. The only thing I hate is that the Hollywood directors never get it right! :)

    I really believe my imaginations was supported by my teachers in the early years reading aloud such books as Fudge, Super Fudge, and so many more. without those experiences I may not have developed such a great imagination.

    ReplyDelete