Saturday, November 2, 2013

Childbirth in My Life and Around the World

Fourteen years ago I gave birth to my first of two children.  I gave birth in Underwood Memorial Hospital, in a brand new birthing suite.  I was in labor for 36 hours and eventually had to be given a cesarean section because of some minor complications.  I was closely monitored the entire time by doctor, nurse, and machine.  All necessary precautions were taken to ensure a problem free experience.  Technology was utilized to observe my baby and my vital signs.  Luckily, all of the necessary procedures, as well as quality prenatal care, afforded me an uncomplicated birthing process with minimal incidence of problems which may later cause developmental or health issues for myself or my child.

This scenario is not always the case in other countries.  According to the World Health Organization, congenital anomalies or birth defects occur 94% of the time in low income countries where mothers are susceptible to malnutrition and poor or non-existent prenatal care.  The birth defects can cause long term disability and even death.  Africa, for example, is one country that the World Health Organization helps with prenatal care and the birthing process.  Many women are not exposed to prenatal care, nor birthing facilities unless there is an immediate danger, and many times, at that point it is too late, and the damage is already eminent.


Luckily, organizations such as the one stated above, have a mission that all children will be healthy and no longer suffer.  It is these entities that are allowing our children to have a chance at a life free of birth defects, low birth weight, suffering, and death.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    Thank you for sharing your birthing experience. I am glad everything went well despite minor complications. I too am thankful for the extra assistance that women receive after birth, as many in other countries aren't as fortunate.

    Best,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    Living here in the United States we often take things for granted, such as prenatal care. I appreciate the value of this assignment, as it allows us time to pause and reflect on child birth around the globe, not just in our backyard. It is scarey to think of the commonality of birth defects and infant mortality in other countries not so lucky. However, I don't think we need to look so far to see a need for adequate prenatal care, as we have many expectant mothers here in America that lack necessary care during their pregnancy. Therefore, I think it is crucial for early childhood educators to be knowledgeable on the affects of insufficient prenatal care, especially when these children enter our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prenatal care is so important and I think it is useful that you chose Africa to compare the birth experiences. This prenatal care can have a huge impact of the developing child later in life, but I think this can be the case in any country.

    ReplyDelete