Saturday, November 9, 2013

Childhood Obesity and Nutrition...A Growing Concern

Childhood obesity and nutrition is a topic of interest among children today.  As of 2010, between 16 and 30 percent of children were obese.  Obesity tends to start around age 5 and continues throughout later childhood into adolescence.  Obesity brings health problems such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, as well as low self-esteem. 
Current causes of childhood obesity include genetics, cultural reasons, lack of activity, and eating habits.  Eating habits is a factor that can be controlled and altered.  Portion sizes and poor food choices are two eating habits examples.  Many families do not have access to fresh foods and rely upon processed foods for convenience and cost efficiency.  Meals eaten quickly and at places other than the eating table contribute to the eating habits as well. 
Childhood obesity is not just an issue in the United States.  The World Health Organization found that approximately 24 percent of the children in European countries are obese, and the statistics are growing. 
Childhood obesity is of personal concern to me because I was obese as a child and it had effects later in life.  I personally struggle with weight and will continue to struggle.  I believe that my obesity came from notions my parents believed while I was growing up, such as I needed to eat everything on my plate, which happened to be an adult size plate with adult size portions.  I personally know and understand the impact of childhood obesity and I educate my parents about making smart food choices.  Furthermore, I serve on a council which makes it their mission to educate families in the inner city about food choices and healthy eating.  Education and making parents aware is one way to help remedy this obesity issue, and I do all I can to get the word out.
Reference
American Academy of Pediatrics: Prevention of Pediatric Overweight and Obesity

Center for Disease Control: Childhood Obesity

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Thank you for sharing your story about childhood obesity. I am sorry to hear that you have suffered from this problem. And I'm glad you are on a board where you can speak about childhood obesity and its implications firsthand. If more people are informed about childhood obesity, I am sure the rate will lower. We all just need to do our part and work with one another.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your blog statement,mostly because of my nephew. He is on the opposite side of obesity. He only eats french fries and drinks coke. He really has not had vegetables or fruit or even meat for that matter. I think he has a eating disorder, because what he eats is the only thing in his life that he can control.

    ReplyDelete